Rice Crispies are a staple cereal in our house. Whether for the kids’ brekkie, a last minute baking treat or just for myself at the end of the long day, we always have a box in the cupboard. But why limit yourself to just sweet cooking? Read on for a super easy savoury burger recipe using everyone’s favourite noisy morning treat.
These juicy, crisp breasts served on hot Foccia hit that craving, are cheaper than using chicken breasts and really don’t take too much effort. Just what you need on a Monday!
Snap, Crackle and Pop Burgers
- Turkey Breasts – 1 per person
- Plain Flour
- Your favourite spices
- One large egg
- Rice Krispies
- Foccacia bread (or any other roll you fancy)
- Clear a space in your kitchen. This may involve throwing all your empty milk bottles into the sink, or even having to empty and reload the dishwasher. Celebrate this step with some chocolate to keep your sugar levels up whilst you cook.
- Take 2 turkey breasts (1 per person). Tenderise them by stabbing with a fork a good amount on both sides.
- Lay out 3 bowls. In the first, add plain flour and spices of your choice. I like things on the spicy side so opted for Cayenne and hot smoked paprika. Mix well. In bowl 2, crack an egg and whisk with a fork until all lovely and broken up. In bowl 3, pour in some Rice Krispies (or your own brand alternative. I opted for slightly past their best Sainsbury own brand).
- Take your breast in one hand (tee-hee) and pop into bowl 1. Coat completely in flour. This will dry out the turkey enough to take a good strong coating. Then take the breast and cover in egg mixture. Finally, roll the eggy turkey breast in the Rice Krispies until no more will stick on.
- Spray a tray with Fry-light to stop things sticking, and transfer the burgers to the tray. Pop in the oven, gas mark 6 for about 45 minutes.
- Check the turkey is cooked through.
- Warm your bread in the oven, if desired. Serve!
(My personal suggestion; cover in a slice of cheese, smother in a hot bbq sauce, and serve with lashings of chips and a small glass of rioja)